Monday, February 23, 2015

Persuasive Writing Stack

I attended a great workshop in my early years teaching. It was all about teaching writing. The argument was that students should read examples of the types of text we ask them to write.

For persuasive writing, I supply students with a stack of persuasive essays. We use different colored highlighters to label the evidence as statistics, expert opinions, and examples for each reading. We also examine the structure and organization of the essays. Only after reading and examining a few examples of persuasive writing are students ready to write their own. Students get to choose one of the stack essays as their model essay (structure and organization) for their own persuasive ideas.

The persuasive stack below comes mostly from a book I received from the NYC Department of Education. Teen Ink was also a valuable resource in finding model personal essays and poems.

Persuasive Writing Stack

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Heart Unicorns!

 I have had the most fun teaching an after school enrichment class this fall! I Heart Unicorns is filled with a dozen 4-6 year olds who all ...