Saturday, March 24, 2018

Using Animoto for Book Trailers

As the school year comes to a close, my students are preparing for their final project: The Book Trailer! This project was developed by my predecessor, the wonderful Lisa Stringfellow, using reading, writing, and digital literacy skills. This project uses many reading skills including visualizing, summarizing, determining importance, and finding theme, mood, tone, and symbols. Since students are using online resources to find their images, they are also asked to follow all copyright and fair use rules that we discuss throughout the year. On top of that, there is writing involved that assesses the grammar skills that we study. It's a wonderful way to wrap up the year with a technology based project. We end the year with Book Trailer viewings and vote for our favorites in a big celebration. I love classroom celebrations!

I use animoto's free educator account. You can apply for an educator account that will give you access to 50 student accounts. It can be a little complicated to set up (I give students dummy email addresses that I set up so that I can monitor their progress more closely), but the program itself is pretty simple to use. I definitely recommend making your own video first to get a feel for the program and troubleshoot any potential issues.

Check out a great example!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I Heart Unicorns!

 I have had the most fun teaching an after school enrichment class this fall! I Heart Unicorns is filled with a dozen 4-6 year olds who all ...