Wednesday, March 21, 2018

STEM and Reading with the Book Box

I am always looking for ways to collaborate with other teachers and connect student experiences across our curricula. This year, the science teacher at my school and I were able to connect our very different units: circuits and electricity with visualizing and determining importance in a text.

The project, The Book Box, asked students to create a diorama of an important scene from their reading books and use a Christmas light connected to a battery to emphasize an important part of the scene. The projects were amazing! My school also has a Fab Lab maker space, and students worked in the Fab Lab to build their items and even 3-D print props!

This is definitely a project that I look forward to for next year!

An opening scene from The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen.


An important scene from Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Heart Unicorns!

 I have had the most fun teaching an after school enrichment class this fall! I Heart Unicorns is filled with a dozen 4-6 year olds who all ...