Saturday, September 1, 2018

UNESCO Cities of Literature Tour

 I had the most amazing summer! My current school offers teacher the opportunity to apply for grants to further their professional and educational goals. As a major goal is to cultivate a culture of readers, I applied for a grant to visit a number of UNESCO Cities of Literature... and I got it! I was gifted the opportunity to travel to Dublin, Barcelona, Prague, and Edinburgh to understand why these European cities are recognized for their literary culture. By exploring ancient libraries, writer's hangouts and museums, and scenes of brutality and sadness, I came to understand the absolute necessity of literature to tell the story of the people. Literature gets banned for a reason; it makes people think and connects people even as there are others who fight those  important human necessities. I am leaving Europe with a newfound sense of the pure privilege of literacy. 

The Library at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. 


Outside The Elephant House where much of Harry Potter was written in Edinburgh, Scotland.


Books on display about the Spanish Revolution in Barcelona, Spain.


A list of names of those lost at the Terezin Camp outside of Prague, Czech Republic.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I Heart Unicorns!

 I have had the most fun teaching an after school enrichment class this fall! I Heart Unicorns is filled with a dozen 4-6 year olds who all ...