Monday, March 23, 2015

Films in the Classroom


As a former film student, I love finding ways to incorporate films into my classroom. I have used films to demonstrate tone and mood (Tim Burton's short "Vincent") as well as plot and story elements (Tim Burton's original "Frankenweenie"... I love Tim Burton!). I have also used film versions of texts studied in class like A Raisin in the Sun, Hercules, Romeo and Juliet, and Where the Wild Things Are. I like to make the film an assignment as well. One way I've found to do this is to have students study the film review genre and write their own film reviews. Like the personal essays and persuasive essays, I start with a stack of film reviews and ask students to create a Noticings list to figure out the structure of a film review. Students have done well writing film reviews because it mixes something they see as pure entertainment (watching a movie) with the academic writing and reading of film reviews. Below is a bulletin board I created filled with movie reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathodology Training

 Summer is a great time for swimming, reading, and math! While I love summer break as a chance to refresh, I also love it as a chance to ref...