Sunday, April 19, 2015

Origin Myths Projects

To wrap up my current myth unit, students will be writing their own origin myths. I did this activity a few years ago at an alternative school in NYC. It went really well as we focused on creative writing and writing skills. Students then created paper mache masks that represented their myths and shared them. This year, the Social Studies teacher and I are doing a cross-curricular origin myth assignment. Students studied myths in English and Native American tribes in Social Studies. They are going to write their own origin myths and then create masks that will be formed into a totem pole. They are studying totem poles and their significance in Social Studies. I am really excited to see how this project turns out!

The totem poles we are going to make (from Ms. Gram's website).

The origin myths and masks from my NYC unit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathodology Training

 Summer is a great time for swimming, reading, and math! While I love summer break as a chance to refresh, I also love it as a chance to ref...