Tuesday, June 16, 2015

All the Light We Cannot See

Having just spent a week at the beautiful Emerald Isle in North Carolina (Thanks Marie and Gary!), I got a good chance to catch up on my grown-up reads. I started with what has definitely cracked my top ten favorites list, All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

It's a historical fiction novel revolving around the German occupation of France in World War II. I'm obsessed with historical fiction, especially when it teaches you about events and subjects that you didn't know about beforehand. Anthony Doerr knows everything. And he teaches it to you in such a way that you wondered why you were never curious about the subjects before.

The author jumps between different characters, telling their stories and weaving a tale that you can't predict. At the center of it all is a diamond from a Paris museum that is being protected from the Nazis. This diamond has quite the mythology that follows it, and sometimes it's hard to believe that it's just a diamond and not the magical legend described.

At over 500 pages, it's not a short text, by any means, but the short chapters and interspersing character stories move you through the text quickly.

The novel had everything I love about a great novel: historical context, differing character perspectives, and an ending that sits with you in your soul and causes you to reflect on the very nature of life. (I know, dramatic, but true).





No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathodology Training

 Summer is a great time for swimming, reading, and math! While I love summer break as a chance to refresh, I also love it as a chance to ref...