Monday, December 28, 2015

Writing Graphic Organizers

We have focused on three types of writing this year: summarizing/sequence, description/explanation, and compare and contrast. I always use graphic organizers for prewriting and check students' organizers before they start their paragraph writing. Below, I've attached links to find these graphic organizers.

Somebody Wanted But So Then graphic organizer

Description Cluster Web

Compare and Contrast Venn Diagram

I have color-coded the materials so that the students know which organizer may be best suited for each assignment. During a professional development, a presenter shared that many ADHD students can focus on colored paper more easily than plain white paper. I thought I'd test the theory.

We created foldables to study the transition words for each type of paragraph structure as well. When students are ready to transform their organizers into paragraphs, they pull out the transition list, too!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mathodology Training

 Summer is a great time for swimming, reading, and math! While I love summer break as a chance to refresh, I also love it as a chance to ref...